Monday, November 12, 2007

Immunoglobulin E

...you are the bane of my existence.

I am convinced that, despite the claims of some, my immune system hates me and wants to see me suffer. I am thankful for all the times that it has worked to fight off infectious pathogens and I would hate to see it go, but this double-edged sword is mercilessly hacking apart my face.

Why can't you just give it up, IgE, and quit being such a bastard all the time, trying to hog the spotlight in the face of more useful immunoglobulins like IgA and especially IgG? Those immunoglobulins are more effective at anti-pathogenic action without being able to destabilize mast cells and dump histamine everywhere like a proverbial allergenic Exxon Valdez. While we're at it, you can tell your eosinophil friends to pack it up and move out. I'm about ready to selectively lyse any cell in my body that even so much as considers transcribing mRNA that encodes for vasoactive amines.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to declare war on green plants and the feces of microscopic arthropods now.

No comments: