Friday, April 11, 2008

Really Delayed Ambulance Chasing

A few months ago I was in a minor vehicular accident when traffic ahead of me slowed to a complete stop on the highway. A pickup truck swerved across three lanes and cut in front of me; my eye still on the truck, I failed to notice that the cars ahead had stopped, so I wound up rear-ending a fellow motorist at about five miles per hour as I failed to come to a complete stop. The total damage done was a slight scratch on my front bumper and a tiny imprint the shape of my car in the poor guy's fender. Neither party was injured, so the police didn't even file a full report, just a non-investigated accident form for the both of us as a way of formally exchanging information.

Fast-forward to today, nearly four months later.

When I got home from class, I was told that someone had called about my insurance. Since the other driver had (about a month after the accident) apparently smelled money and tried to claim an injury, I figured that this was about the resolution to that case.

Nope. It was a chiropractor's office.

They were trying to convince me to schedule an appointment in the event that I was having "headaches, backaches, or other pain problems" as a result of the "accident." "It can take several weeks or months for problems to develop," noted the woman on the phone. "This is because at the time of the accident your body is full of all kinds of chemicals."

Right. It still is, as a matter of fact, and I bet I know more about them than she did. Moving on.

I was polite to her; there was no reason to be otherwise, and I declined her offer to make me an appointment for a chiropractic evaluation.

This is all just a story--an anecdote. But I've never seen any other "doctors" having to resort to cold-calling patients from accident records to solicit them as patients. Chiropractors have more in common with ambulance-chasing lawyers than with physicians; the only way most of them are going to get any business is with colorful advertising or by dubious phone-farming.

In retrospect, it might've been somewhat humorous to suggest that I had developed allergies or diabetes since the accident. I wonder what the representative on the phone would've told me if I asked what they could do about it at the office?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good post. I do marketing for a chiropractor and we definetly do not chase accident victims...I hate that some do...Gives others a bad name.

PS Have you ever been to a chiropractor? Thay really can help with your allergies :-)

Happy blogging!
Billy

N.B. said...

I sure haven't! When somebody demonstrates that cracking my back is likely to affect my hypersensitive immune system, I'll consider it. But I'm not holding my breath, mostly because I don't want to suffocate.

Anonymous said...

Chiropractic was illegal in Massachusetts until 1970.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like they were trying to conspire to commit fraud...